Man arrested after bomb threat targeting US Consulate in Halifax

Man arrested after bomb threat targeting US Consulate in Halifax
Credit: facebook.com/usconsulatehalifax

A 54-year-old man is in custody after a bomb threat targeting the U.S. Consulate in Halifax triggered a major police operation that shut down several city blocks for more than five hours on August 10. Halifax Regional Police say the investigation began Sunday evening after authorities learned the consulate had received a bomb threat. By Monday morning, officers had located the suspect's vehicle inside a downtown parking garage, where they discovered a propane tank and several containers believed to contain flammable liquids. The incident comes amid heightened security concerns following two shootings targeting the U.S. Consulate in Toronto earlier this year.

Police said they received information about the threat around 6:15 p.m. Sunday and quickly identified a suspect believed to be connected to the incident. Investigators have not disclosed how the threat was communicated or released the man's identity. The suspect had not been charged as of Monday afternoon, and authorities said the investigation remains ongoing. Officers began searching for both the man and his vehicle overnight before locating the vehicle at Purdy's Wharf, a commercial complex near the Halifax waterfront, shortly after 8 a.m.

A propane tank and several containers believed to contain flammable liquid were visible inside the suspect's vehicle.

Halifax Regional Police

Police response

The discovery prompted an immediate security response around the downtown consulate. Police evacuated multiple blocks surrounding the diplomatic mission while bomb squad officers examined the vehicle and assessed whether it posed an active threat. The evacuation remained in place for more than five hours before authorities determined there was no danger to the public. Streets surrounding the consulate were reopened after investigators completed their initial examination, though officers continued collecting evidence throughout the afternoon as the investigation shifted toward determining the circumstances surrounding the threat.

Suspect arrested

About 25 minutes after locating the vehicle, police arrested the suspect in Clayton Park West, a residential neighbourhood roughly 11 kilometres west of the consulate. Officers established another security perimeter in the area because investigators believed the man could still have access to explosives. Residents faced temporary disruptions while police searched the neighbourhood, but authorities later declared the area safe after completing their operation. The Canada Games Centre, a recreation facility located within the evacuation zone, remained closed until late Monday afternoon while police completed their work.

Investigators have released few details about what motivated the threat or whether the suspect intended to carry out an attack. Police have not confirmed whether the propane tank and containers of flammable liquid were capable of being used as an explosive device, saying only that bomb technicians examined the materials as a precaution. The U.S. Consulate did not immediately comment publicly on the incident, while Halifax police said additional information, including potential criminal charges, would be released as the investigation progresses.

Toronto Police officers work around the scene of a shooting at the US Consulate in Toronto, Canada, on March 10, 2026. Shots were fired at the US consulate in Toronto early Tuesday but no one was injured, police said, days after Middle East war protests outside the building. The Toronto Police Service said it received reports of a firearm being discharged at the consulate before dawn in the downtown area of Canada's largest city. (Photo by Cole BURSTON / AFP via Getty Images)

The Halifax investigation follows a series of security incidents involving American diplomatic facilities across Canada this year. In Toronto, the U.S. Consulate was struck by gunfire twice in 2026, including an attack in late July that prompted a high-speed police pursuit after a suspect vehicle fled the scene. Those incidents resulted in increased security measures at diplomatic sites across the country, with police continuing to monitor potential threats against foreign missions. Authorities have not indicated whether Monday's Halifax bomb threat is connected to any previous incidents.